Monday, April 24, 2017

Masculine Birthday Card

PP-341---Barb-Derksen

I whipped this card up from the inspiration of this week’s Paper Players #341 sketch:

 

The simplicity of the sketch is what drew me, I almost immediately know what supplies to reach for.  I owe out a few masculine birthdays and this fit the ticket.  I used paper from a 12 x 12 pad “Natural Luxury” by Craft Smith.  I seem to return to this book for both elegant and masculine over and over.  Its a great mix of florals and patterns with splashes of shiny gold thrown in.  I used a slide mount – the sort from old projectors (remember the days when you were subjected to someones family memories for hours? – sometimes that was hugely meaningful and fun, other times you wish you could clone yourself… LOL!)  At any rate, these are glass plated slides with a metal looking plastic frame which I backed with coordinating cardstock and sealed in with narrow foam tape.  A “shaker” card, basically.  The sentiment is stamped with Versafine, the words from Stampin’ Up.  I used my Simon Says Stamp stitched rectangle dies to create interest on the sentiment banner. 

 

unnamed

I’m some  weeks home from a visit to Houston Texas and I might get an inkling to post some of my favorite pics on my blog yet, we will see.  For now, here is a photo of one of my favorite spring flowers from here in our Pocket Desert area of beautiful BC – a Shooting Star flower, and a little spring inspiration as well.

 

At night I peer into a velvet and diamond night sky,

Seeking with my naked eye,

In spring I look upon the ground,

To see if I’m blessed to have found,

In night, in day – a shooting star,

I hunt upward, downward – here you are!

- Barbara Derksen

 

3 comments:

  1. Barb, I hadn't thought to do a shaker card - genius! I love the fact that this card would work for any gender. The bold black and white with the silver is a stunning combo. Great take on the sketch. Also, I am in love with your Shooting Star - what a truly beautiful flower. Wonderful inspiration for a watercolor painting, I think.
    So glad you joined us at the Paper Players this week
    Jaydee

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely interpretation of the sketch! Love that you've made it a shaker card and by such an ingenious method. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOwza, not only are you artistically creative, you're a poet too! LOVE this card...did you have the slide mount already or did you buy them somewhere? Perfect for a shaker card!!! And your poem is lovely too! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations! Thanks for sharing this with the Players this week!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Follow by Email

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts