Monday, August 05, 2013

Dream a Little Dream - whimsical FREE file

Ah summer - it has swept me away.  I was shocked to see I’ve not posted for over an entire month!  I’ve had my head stuck in a creative cloud and I’ve had company too.   Creating and company - building memories and “stuff”, I’m in my element.  I had my sister Nina to myself for an entire week - we had a phenomenal time.

I don’t know quite where to begin so I’m choosing to go with one of my projects that I have a photo for on hand. 

 

Girl-with-Birds-Plaque3_Barb-Derksen

 

Supplies:

wooden plaque

Designer Paper - Boho Chic by Kristin Cronin Barrow 

Modge Podge

black vinyl

brads

Girl with Birds silhouette - Barb Derksen

flowers - Barb Derksen

silhouette sketch pen

 

I try to recycle wherever possible and this project was no exception.  I bought the plaque at a yard sale.  It did not look like much when I purchased it, for sure - just a plain old scuffed up thing. 

First I gave the wood a coat of white acrylic paint.

Next I measured and mapped out the shape for the background. I coated the surface of the wood with a layer of Modge Podge and then affixed Kristin’s beautiful and soft designer paper to it, smoothing with a credit card to remove any bubbles. 

 

Girl-with-Birds-Plaque1_Barb-Derksen

She really is lovely!

I scanned  the girl silhouette from an old school book (1934) and then I traced her, sized her with birds, a random small butterfly and cut on my Silhouette Cameo and when the designer paper was fully dry I applied the vinyl cuts.  I suggest you think about placement of your vinyl and perhaps lightly mark where you would like it to be ahead of time.  I often make a “thumbnail” or small ‘sketch’ of what I think the project should look like in the end, even measuring each area. 

Once my girl was placed I then made and added the scallop and sentiment.  The sentiment was placed on some cardstock and is a combination of vinyl lettering (DREAM) and the middle text using a Silhouette Sketch Pen. I ♥ using my pens for text as I can make it fit whatever size I want. 

 

Girl-with-Birds-Plaque2_Barb-Derksen

 

At the end I embellished the scalloped sentiment with several layered flowers (a simple 6 petal design I made way back, but I added a hole in the middle for this project to accommodate the brads. I created a simple leaf shape to go with the blossoms. 

Today I’m giving you this lovely girl and birds silhouette for you to use for your own projects - enjoy!  You may use these for any projects you create and even sell, however if you use these for commercial purposes I would ask you credit me (donate if you’re feeling generous?) and link back to my blog please.  I’m providing this in both a PNG format (for designers and digital scrapbookers) and also as a Silhouette cut file. 

 

GIRL AND BIRDS PNG

DOWNLOAD

GIRL AND BIRDS SIL FILE

DOWNLOAD

This plaque was for sale at The Crow’s Nest but has sold.  I hope to build another as I have another block just waiting!

Be sure to check back in a couple of days when I will be blogging another project using this Girl with Birds cut in a completely different way.  Thanks for visiting! 

Blogger Labels: Dream,Little,FREE,memories,element,Nina,photo,Supplies,plaque,Designer,Paper,Boho,Chic,Kristin,Cronin,Modge,Podge,vinyl,Girl,Birds,silhouette,Barb,Derksen,flowers,exception,yard,sale,wood,paint,background,layer,card,bubbles,Cameo,placement,area,Once,sentiment,combination,text,Sketch,size,leaf,DOWNLOAD,FILE,Nest,Thanks,purposes,brads

9 comments:

  1. Good morning Barb.:)
    I am soo HAPPY that you were able to spend such quality time with Nina this week.:)YAY!
    I LOVE what you have done with the plaque using your cutout designs.So HAPPY you sold it too!!:)
    I haven't tried making my own plaque yet. Something I must really think about now.hmmmm.:)

    Huge hugs and LOTS of love!
    Valinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING YOUR FILES WITH ME!!!!!! :) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, this is awesome. This reminds me of when I was young. Such a sweet plaque.

    This would look great on a night light.

    Thank you for sharing the file

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I LOVE this Barb!!! So soooooo sweet ♥ You are awesome to share your files :) Thank you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it looks great, Barb. The black silhouettes are fabulous against the peachy background colour.
    Tine (Addie24)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you are back ...so glad you and Nina got lots of time together. Love seeing you back online...thanks for sharing and the files. Talk to you real soon.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty plaque Barb, love the cut files :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great Barb I may just use the file and make a plaque for my granddaughter's bedroom...thank you so much...!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts