Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Scrapbook Essentials BC Challenge 4 Card & my DIY Embossing Folder using Silhouette SD

 

I’m finding I need a kick start here in the New Year to get the card making spree started so I’m taking the challenge I found on my sister Nina’s blog site.

 

Nina has been using stamps available from the Scrapbook Essentials Store to create some inspiring cards.  Will YOU join in and create a card here this week too?

Our Rules for Playing:

  1. Create a NEW project for this challenge.

  2. Be sure to link your blog with a direct link to the post you would like us to visit.

  3. Please put a link on your post to our challenge.

  4. Create a project with only 3 challenges including our challenge.

  5. Feel free to use any stamping products you have!

I like the simplicity of this sketch, here’s what I made:

SEBC---4---Barb-Derksen

Supplies:

Heart Stamp – Kathie and Co

Ink – Versafine Onyx Black

Designer Paper – K & Company

Ribbon – (narrow) Offray, Dancer

How it went together:

I stamped some white cardstock with the hearts image.  I added sparkle (new technique I’m also fooling with and will share in a future post) and then accented with watercolor. 

I embossed the designer paper using an “embossing folder” I made DIY by cutting the shapes from my Silhouette SD.  I am the queen of DIY and doing things frugally.  Its a bit tricky putting the DIY embossing folder (two sheets of cardstock with layers of shapes squished in between) and takes a measure of time and concentration but its worth it in the end.

DIY-Embossing-Folder

 

The thing I will have to remember in the future is to reverse images when doing this sort of thing – and next time I also need to hit the SAVE button on my computer… I click before I think (as my husband always tells me)  I deleted it before I realized it.  I’m looking forward to making more so will be sure to share. 

Do you ever experiment making your own embossing items?   (I’m thinking leaves, lace, fabric…)

4 comments:

  1. awesome you did it ...the card is awesome and you created everything for it ...Barb you are so talented ....way to go. You make that machine do some neat stuff...have a great evening.

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card Aunty Barb! I'm so happy to see ya back making some great cards for us.
    You are so talented and so smart...i love that you can dream up anything you need. I never would have thought of embossing my own stuff....truly amazing. Being frugle so wonderful...i try but the creativity just isn't there.

    Hope you are having a wonderful New Year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Barb!!
    I LOVE what you have done with your card and the embossing is so COOL!!
    I really need to get back to my Silhouette machine before I have to take a refresher course.LOL You make everything look so easy!!!:)
    I have been spending time catching up on the things I have gotten behind on this last month ..so I won't be able to take this challenge this time around.:( Hopefully it won't take long for me to get back in the swing of things.:)

    Love ya!!
    Valinda

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a smarty pants making your own embossing folder. Your card is fantastic, and I know whoever get this will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts