Monday, January 09, 2012

Mojo 223, SSIC 121, a new technique and a FREE Valentines theme card template and cutting file!

Wow, when I get creative and go with the flow I sure get a lot to blog about, hehe.  Ok, so I’ll just jump right in, all the little newsy stuff first and then on to my latest cards.  This week saw the weather go from warm and bare ground, an unusually – though not record – balmy winter until Saturday night when we finally got some inches of snow, which has again melted away.  I’m happy with that because I’ve been able to run outside in the middle of winter without fear of slipping on ice. 

It has been so mild that my Mr. actually saw a mosquito (or mosquito-like) insect alive and flying around outside the other day.  I killed two black widow spiders inside a building within the past two weeks and even ants! 

I’m feeling very “peppy” lately, lost the few lb I gained over the Christmas holidays.  I’ve been adding fresh chopped ginger to my apple salad for lunch each day and I believe its boosting my metabolism.  How about YOU – have you made progress with your waistline/eating habits?

Speaking of eating, I was just given the sweetest gift… or should I rephrase this to say “sourest” gift? 

 

Lemon

A lemon! 

Why would I be so excited about a lemon?  It’s because it was given to me by my friend Melanie and it grew on a tree in her house!  The tree is several years old and is now producing beautiful fruit a few times a year.  This year has been particularly abundant.  This is a BIG lemon and is very firm and pungent.  I’m trying to decide exactly how I will use it.  Do YOU have a suggestion?  Mel’s going to start us our very own lemon tree and though I’m not a live plant person I’m quite charged up about this!

I also report that my A Complaint Free World challenge bracelet has changed wrists a few times.  If you’re visiting here for the first time then I’ll tell you that the basic idea behind this bracelet.  I wear it on one wrist – if I complain then I have to move it to the other wrist and start all over again.  The hope is that I can make it through a whole year of not complaining. 

Its very interesting trying not to complain.  One becomes very aware of just how insidious complaining is, chronic and I think we kind of become enslaved to it.  I’m so glad that even if I don’t make it through this year that I will at least changed my ways. 

If YOU are taking this challenge, how are you doing?

 

Random Tip:

I hate waste, so when I have a heavy plastic type bag – many have the zipper locks on top, from say nuts, or chips – this sort of food, I rinse them out and dry them and save them  and I use them to marinate meat for the bbq.  They are perfect for this purpose. 

 

On to my cards and creating portion of this post:

I combined two challenges into one due to some time pressure I’m feeling.  I’m entering this card for both the Stamping Sisters in Christ challenge # 121 and also Mojo Monday challenge # 223.  I do Mojo along with my sister Nina, sister in law Judy, neice Samantha and dear friend Valinda.  Would YOU like to join in too?

Stamping Sisters in Christ challenge # 121- Phil 2:3-4

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." Philippians 2:3-4

This week’s challenge is based on Philippians 2:3-4 and the goal is for you to make a card to send to someone who needs a lift. The general thought is a thinking of you card, but it can contain a scripture verse or any sentiment that conveys that your thoughts or your prayers are with that other person.

And…

Mojo Monday challenge # 223.

This is my take on the combo (using a NEW technique which I will share with you here!)

Mojo-223_Barb-Derksen

 

Whew – a lot of parts to this card but in the end I am pleased with the results.  Of course a photograph does not quite capture the richness nor the full effect of the glitter. 

Supplies:

Designer Paper – sorry, a random leftover Sad smile 

Stamps: Fiskars

Elements:  I cut the shapes out using my Silhouette SD 

I created this flower myself, and now I’ll share how I made it. 

I am the QUEEN of frugal.  I recently bought some supplies to make glittery elements – I bought the SOOKWANG adhesive sheets and some Glitter Ritz glitters and some beautiful Starform Stickers and Copic sketch markers to create lovely elements.  You can find out more about these products at the Elizabeth Craft site.   They really turn out beautiful. 

However, the price of some of the products is prohibitive to me – for example I picked these items up at regular run of the mill scrapbooking stores and I paid approximately $10 for the 5 sheets of Sookwang (Be Creative) adhesive sheets, Glitter Ritz, each color about $6 each color, $2.50 for each package of Starform shapes and the Copic markers are $7 each.  When these run out I’m truly not sure I can afford to replace them – we will see, perhaps some millionaire will take a shine to my cards Winking smile 

In case you’re like me and a visual person – here’s a video tut on what I’m talking about:

 

Demonstration of using Copic Markers with Sookwang adhesive sheets and Coloritz Glitter.

Sooooooo…

I played around with some supplies that I have and have come very close to the same look.  I did one project which I won’t show here and I actually painted the glitter with watercolor paint and it turned out lovely.  I even used my Silhouette SD to cut out a very fine edge and glued it around like the Starform edges.  It was not perfect but very close.

But here’s the last project I made using my own frugal technique and afterward I’m going to provide you with both the cutting files and png files for this project so you can make your own sweet Valentines card. 

 

Heart-Card-Tut2

Please ignore my fingernail which sorely needs to be touched up or redone… what I’m showing you in this picture is I’m peeling a cardstock heart shape taped to some simple transparent Contact paper (its adhesive on one side)

 

This product is widely available at almost any hardware or home deco place and is very inexpensive.  I’ve bought most of mine at either thrift stores or yard sales for less than a dollar for a huuuuge long roll.  Now I’ve discovered I can cut this on my Silhouette SD by using the Vinyl setting and the cutting matt.  So I can cut any shape, but you could easily trace and cut or experiment with other ways.

 

Heart-Card-Tut1

Once you’ve cut your shape (and a note, if you make lettering or this type of thing you might want to reverse your image when you cut your Contact)  I cut a second shape out of real cardstock paper to glue my shape to for extra stiffness.   Once you’ve cut your shape then you can pour glitter onto your Contact sticky side and “burnish” it in using your finger.  (Glitteritz if you have the $$$, dollar store if not, which is what I used in my challenge cards for the flower element and below for the heart elements)

 

Valentines-Heart-Card_Barb-Derksen

I really think this works well – and is quite inexpensive. 

Supplies:

Designer Paper: Recollections Red and Pink Hearts

Frame, heart shapes and arrows – ME! Barb Derksen

And so even though its sooooo much easier for me to create my cutting files just in my Designer Edition Silhouette SD software I chose to make it in another graphics program so that YOU could have the png files – you can use them for digital scrapbooking or bring them into your own cutting machine software to create this lovely card.  I also took them into Inkscape and turned them into svg files for those of you who have ability to import svg files.  Please forgive me if you use the svg files – they import HUGE into other programs because frankly I’ve not learned how to export them at a smaller size yet. 

  These are for Personal Use.  Please do not share the files – send your friends to download these for themself. I will place a second copy in my PAGES archive – look up top.  They will always be available and free. 

PNG, SVG AND .STUDIO FILES

download

Personal Use

9 comments:

  1. awesome you always found ways to save or use up recycle ..it is so neat. I love it ...thank for sharing these ideas ...love your cards. Chat to you soon.


    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your card is lovely, and would make a lovely addition as an entry to our challenge at Word Art Wednesday. We encourage you to enter a project using scripture or an encouraging sentiment. We want only to share God's Word with people through our art. Please consider linking up - we would be so blessed to have you join us. Check it out at:
    wordartwednesday.blogspot.com
    and we hope to have you link up real soon.
    Blessings,
    Karen - Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the files and the great tip! I'm going to try it for sure! My 7 year old GS thinks glitter is the best thing in the world, and he may be right, lol! Also thank you for sharing on the Siolhouette Plus site! Come visit more - we miss you! (((Hugs!)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the glitter in both cards Barb. I love the earthy colours for your first card. The Valentine's card is fabulous, the glitter and glimmer is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your glittery embellishments. Thanks for sharing how you made them. Thanks for joining the stampin' sisters in Christ challenge this week. Have a blessed day. Your no complaining bracelet sounds like a really good idea. Praying that you are successful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi again! I know I already talked to you about linking up at Word Art Wednesday, and I really hope you will - we need your awesome talent. But also, I would be SO honored to have you stop by and become a follower on my blog. It would mean so much, and I would love to follow your blog as well. I really look forward to watching your blog to see what else you will create. I'm here to chat, and hope you will follow me. Your work is a blessing, and i can't wait to see more of it!
    Blessings,
    Karen - Social Media Coordinator
    Word Art Wednesday Challenge Blog
    karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty and great tutorial! Thanks for joining us at Stampin Sisters in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Barb:)
    WOW!! Look at you go girl!!! :) LOVE your idea of the contact paper using the sticky side.How COOL! I will definitely have to try that one.:)
    LOVE your cards!!! :) You always come up with some really neat ideas.:)
    Thanks so much for the COOL cutting files.:) I really need some extra time too..if you can fit that in!!LOL

    I WILL get back to normal..whatever that is ..soon.:)

    Love,
    Valinda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts