Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Sisters in Christ 114 Card and … Baking Bacon

I’m taking this challenge with my sister in law Judy today.

Peggysue Turner chose this week’s scripture:

Scripture: Genesis 3:6 “When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.”

Why not visit the Sisters in Christ blog site to explore the follow up to the scripture and read why today’s challenge to us is:

Challenge:  Dig in your stash and use one of your oldest stamp sets, one that hasn't seen any use for a long while.

 

Barb-Derksen-SIC-114

I dug into my Christmas supplies and found this stamp.   I don’t believe I’ve even used this stamp yet – it was a gift to me when I first started making cards.  I stamped  with a versamark watermark stamp and then I embossed it with black powder and then I baked it with the heat gun.  I also used some inkadinkadoo chalk on the layer underneath, to reflect some red onto it and break it up from being “blocky”.

 

Bacon-Baking

Speaking of baking, I made delicious “wraps” tonight and they were filled with blackened peppers, cheese, fresh basil and rosemary, olives and crispy crispy bacon.  I love bacon and I love it crispy but I don’t love cooking it.  I dislike having to stand over the frying pan and have the aroma waft up and nest in my hair making me smell like a stack of bacon.  I don’t care to get slatted on with hot little nips.  So I’ve experimented with many methods to simplify the method and get freed up from hovering.  Here’s what I do – I take a large baking pan (could be a cookie sheet) and I line it with foil.  Then I fold about 2 sheets of newspaper and lay that down.  I actually sprinkle it with a little water (don’t want a bacon fire in the oven!)  Next, I invert two little ramekins on the newspaper.  Then I place a rack over them so that the bacon will be suspended above. 

I lay the bacon in strips (I cut the package in half first) and lay them on the rack.  I bake them in the oven at a slow temperature, somewhere between 325 and 350 and bake it until its perfectly brown and crispy. 

Clean-up is a breeze, just wash the rack and ramekins, roll the rest up and toss it away. 

Do you have a favourite and easy way to cook bacon?

6 comments:

  1. love your card...it is a beautiful stamp ....makes you feel the spirit of the season. You did an awesome job on it. Those wraps sound so good and it is to late to eat something like that ....save me one ...
    What challenge will we do next ???

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card and beautiful image. That bacon has made me hungry :)..Thank you for joining us at Stampin Sisters in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, wow. Here I was not very fond of this stamp when it was gifted, well I think this one was from me :.) Does not matter where it came from the card is stunning, sis. I love the colour combo your used. You have created a beautiful Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Barb:)
    LOVE your card and that stamp is so COOL too.Love the way you colored it.:)
    I don't do this often with bacon..but can say..that the microwave is a good way to fry it.Using a microwave rack that collects the grease and leaves the bacon free from it.I place several slices on the rack..cover the bacon with a paper towel and cook for three or four minutes on..I think ...high.Can't remember.LOL It comes out crispy and pretty much grease free.:)

    Huge hugs!!
    Valinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful card Aunty Barb!

    Mmmm Bacon...i hope you had a piece for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous stamp...and I see the dog is a Corgi!! We have one of those, such cute pups! And I had to read on about your bacon...I use a microwave bacon rack that we bought years ago...cut my bacon in half and layer a couple of paper towels over it. My bacon is crispy and all the fat drains off and it is so fast and easy- 2-4 minutes! Love your Christmas card! Thanks for joining us this week at Stampin' Sisters in Christ!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts