Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Help Us Celebrate our Police Force!


Let's Honour our RCMP!

I was always brought up to respect "the authorities".  Its never been a question to me but to have a basic trust in the government, officials, firemen, paramedics and Police.  When I was a child, of course, if I were ever in trouble all I'd do is find one of the above and they would look after me - right? 

Now I'm an adult and I STILL feel the same despite what I see in the media.  I don't watch a lot of tv, gosh we still have an old analog television and a pair of rabbit ears which is interesting sometimes. We still recieve a signal and get two whole channels.  Mostly we watch the news.  Now, if we were to base our trust of "the authorities" on the news, why everything would be corrupt. This is because when things are ticking along nicely, well, it does not make for "good news"  so we are continuously exposed not to what they do right but only when they mess up.  And without pointing out that all our "authorities" are composed of real live people, and people make mistakes and yes, some people make poor choices and yes, some people do bad things - sometimes.  But perhaps we are only showcased only one apple out of the entire harvest.  

I don't know about you but I feel confident in our Police.  I feel my back is covered.  I sure would not want to do the job they do.  When was the last time you thought about the fact they put their lives on the line for us every day?  Do you think they like giving out traffic tickets?  I think they care more about your safety than being popular.  Have you ever begun to think what it would be like without our Police?  When I watch tv I see a lot of people pointing out the shortfalls of the force, not what they do thats positive.  It must be discouraging for them sometimes to see how they are portrayed on the media, how some people see them as an imposition when they do the job they hired on to do.  They must find it difficult to always have the public eye on them - a very critical and judgemental eye. 

Once in a while when my husband and I see our RCMP out and about - having coffee etc, we will tell them we appreciate the job they do - you'd be surprised how much that small gesture can mean. 

And I've often thought it would be so nice to honour them someway - a bigger way, as a community so....



A month ago I became aware of the "Pepsi Refresh Project".  This is how it works: "We're looking for individuals, businesses*, and non-profit organizations with ideas that will have a positive impact on communities."  I was invited to submit my idea and my idea is to host and appreciation event for our RCMP and families to honour them.  So I submitted - and my idea has been accepted!  I now must campaign to have you all VOTE and if enough of you vote - my idea may be granted $25,000 to make my idea happen. 

Now I BELIEVE it can happen - I'm hoping that YOU - your friends and family etc... VOTE - spread the word via your facebook, twitter etc and lets see if we can get our RCMP in the media in a postiive way!  To vote for my idea just click on the following link.  (and send your friends to as well, please!) 


 Voting goes until October 31 and I will keep posting here.  Lets spread some enthusiasm and make this GOOD THING happen.  And thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea - a very worthy cause. Off to vote :)

    Love the new background on your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well bless your heart for thinking of the RCMP! I don't live in Canada but I am married to a police officer, and I know exactly what you mean. Law enforcement is the kind of job where one doesn't hear the words Thank You very often. I voted for your idea because I think it's important that people who do the "dirty work" get some positive reinforcement once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are a blessing to me!

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts